- The Disapproval Matrix, a tool I created for parsing criticism
- Shine Theory by yours truly and Aminatou Sow
- Horizontal Loyalty by Robert Krulwich
- Scenius by Austin Kleon (via Brian Eno)
RESOURCES FOR FREELANCING
- The Longform Podcast features hour-long in-depth interviews with writers and editors. I really wish it had been around when I was starting my career.
- Kill Fee is a podcast hosted by Jason Fagone about freelance writing, with a focus on money and time management and other practical stuff.
- Why Is This So Good is a recurring feature at Nieman Storyboard where journalists dissect excellent pieces and explain why they work so well.
- Who Pays Writers?, a crowdsourced database of freelance rates.
- The best outlets to pitch, according to two dozen freelance journalists
- Scratch: Writers, Money, and the Art of Making a Living is a book edited by Manjula Martin. three cents is Martin's email newsletter about creative work, money, and love.
ARTICLES I RECOMMEND
- Advice for the j-school graduate on the first five years of your career
- What writers really do when they write by George Saunders. It's about fiction but it's very relevant to nonfiction, too.
- The First-Person Industrial Complex by Laura Bennett. How the internet encourages writers (especially entry-level ones, and women) to mine their personal lives for material.
- Cash for Words: A Brief History of Writing for Money by Colin Dickey
- The Financially Damaging Myth of No Effort by Rose Eveleth
- An Open Letter to Fellow Minority Journalists by Jay Caspian Kang
- Online, Everything Is Alternative Media by John Herrman
- Marketplace doesn’t “believe in the view from nowhere,” but still fired a reporter over a blog post. A cautionary tale.
- Marty Baron on journalism in the Trump era and Reuters' Trump-coverage guidelines for its staff
- The Death of the Artist—and the Birth of the Creative Entrepreneur by William Deresewicz